Line of Duty Care for National Guard and Reserve Members

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

For emergency room visits, prior authorization is not needed. However, if the service member is admitted to a hospital or if additional care is needed, he or she must get authorization from the MMSO or the military hospital or clinic, preferably before admission, or as soon as possible after admission. For ongoing care, service members who live or work near a military hospital or clinic Prime Service Area should seek LOD/NOE care from that facility. For those who do not, the service member's command or medical unit requests an authorization for civilian medical care by submitting and LOD/NOE determination to the MMSO.

To continue receiving LOD/NOE care once the period of activation ends, service members must stay in the Guard or Reserve, continue to need treatment, and care must be authorized. Guard and Reserve members should make sure their command or medical unit has a copy of the LOD/NOE document before being released from active service. Prescription medications must be paid for out-of-pocket, but members can file a claim for reimbursement.

Guard and Reserve members activated less than 30 days do not show as TRICARE-eligible in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS). Because of this, it is extremely important all paperwork and documentation is complete -  like the LOD/NOE document and active service orders - when seeking treatment. For more information on LOD/NOE care or to download the TRICARE Treatment of Line of Duty Conditions Fact Sheet, please visit