Free Preparation and Filing Services Can Ease Tax Season

(From the MILITARY ONESOURCE November 2016 Newsletter)

The April tax deadline may seem a long way off, but there are things you can do now to get ready. Military OneSource offers free tax preparation and filing services to help you approach tax season with confidence. These services are available to service members and eligible family.

This assistance is especially valuable this year since the IRS made two major changes for filing in 2017 –

You may need to renew your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The ITIN is issued by the IRS for filing tax returns if you, you spouse or dependents are ineligible for a Social Security Number. Your ITIN will expire on December 31 if 1) you haven’t used it on a U.S. tax return at least once for tax years 2013, 2014 or 2015, or 2) your ITIN has the middle digits 78 or 79. (Example, 9NN-78-NNNN or 9NN-79-NNNN)

If you use a passport to verify a foreign-born dependent’s identity on your tax return, the passport must have a date of entry stamp for the U.S., otherwise additional documents will be needed to prove U.S. residency. This doesn’t apply to dependents born in Canada or Mexico.

For more information on these changes, visit

You can get a head start on your taxes now by locating information and gathering documents you'll need to file. See this helpful list of what you'll need.

When you're ready to file, Military OneSource offers free software that walks you through a series of questions to help you complete and file your tax return. The software allows you to:

Complete and electronically file your federal and up to three state tax forms

Check your electronic filing status

Receive a 100 percent accuracy guarantee

Military OneSource does not prepare tax returns, but our trained consultants can help you make good decisions about your taxes by:

Answering tax-related questions for preparing your returns

Sharing information on tax requirements and other military-related issues

Providing printed and electronic tax forms and helping you understand how to complete them

Survivor benefits assistance

When you are ready to get started on your taxes, contact a trained tax consultant: 800-342-9647. Or if you prefer to get face-to-face assistance, visit a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program location near you.